Sri Lanka is a beautiful island full of natural beauty. The Beaches is the first thing that comes to your mind when we say regarding an island. Thousands of people around the world come to explore the best beaches in Sri Lanka. The picturesque views of the beaches are sure to make you want to revisit these beautiful beaches in and around Sri Lanka. If you are a beach lover, do not forget to visit Sri Lanka. The many beautiful beaches are waiting for you.
The blue water, migrating whales, surfing waves, and snorkeling will make you feel enjoyable. Most of the best beaches in Sri Lanka locates along the southwestern coast. Make sure you take the sunbathing experience and enjoy the seafood delicacies. You can add these beaches in Sri Lanka to your tour list.
Also Read: 10 Best Places to Visit in Sri Lanka
Also Read: 12 Best Honeymoon Places in Sri Lanka
Best Beaches in Sri Lanka Map
Best time to visit Sri Lanka
The best time to visit Sri Lanka is from mid-November to April. Also, the best time to visit Sri Lanka ‘s southern or western beaches is in November – April and eastern from May – September.
10 Best Beaches in Sri Lanka
01. Arugam Bay Beach
Arugam Bay is a popular tourist destination due to the charms of the beautiful, palm-fringed beach. Arugam Bay is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka, with bright white sand and deep blue water. It locates Ampara district, Eastern province Sri Lanka and The beach is known as an international surfing destination. The surfing season is from July to September.
Arugam Bay is fun. You can easily arrange a tour of nearby Pottuvil Lagoon. Also, you have a chance to motor-boat trips out to sea to search for dolphins. The blue water of Arugam bay provides opportunities for fishing, all kinds of water sports, and underwater photography. Do not forget to visit the concealed reef during your Arugam Bay tour.
The area has a good tourist infrastructure and is easy to access. There are barbecuing fish in the early evening at the roadside shacks and restaurants to gather the seafood lovers.
Arugam Bay Map: Arugam Bay
Arugam Bay Famous for:
- Arugam Bay is one of the best surfing points across the world. You can rent the equipment from the local shop and enjoy surfing.
- You can book a lagoon tour through the hidden treasures of the Pottuvil lagoon. It will provide a slow and relaxing journey for you.
- You will have a chance to watch millions of migratory birds if you visit Arugam bay during the off-season.
- Waking to the Elephant Rock will be enjoyable while looking at the serenity of this marvelous beach.
- Plan a trip to the Yala East National Park that is famous for elephants and leopards.
Best Time to Visit Arugam Bay: March to October
Directions to Arugam Bay: It will take around 8 hours by car to reach Arugam Bay from Colombo.
- The Blue Wave Hotel
- Water Edge Hotel
- Bay Vista
- Jetwing Surf
- Arugambay Roccos
Tourist Attractions in Arugam Bay
- Kumana National Park
- Pottuvil Lagoon
- Muhudu Maha Vihara
- Sangamankandy Pilliyar Kovil
- Crocodile Rock
02. Bentota Beach
Bentota Beach is a quiet beach along the southwest coast, Sri Lanka. It locates Galle district, Sri Lanka. Beruwala Bay Beach and Bentota Bay Beach are the most popular coastal beaches in Bentota. Bentota beach is an ideal place for beach lovers to stay their vacation. The Calm waters from November to April, water-skiing, deep-sea fishing in traditional canoes, windsurfing, sailing, diving, and snorkeling.
The resorts, villas, railway stations, post office, shopping arcade, and cafeteria locate at Bentota beach area. It offers the perfect solution for a beach holiday with lots of water sports such as sailing, deep-sea fishing, scuba diving, and snorkeling. So, it is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Bentota Map: Bentota
Bentota Beach Famous for:
- The beach is relatively less crowded.
- You can try your hands on water sports such as water skiing and canoeing.
- Get an opportunity to release a turtle into the sea.
- Relax at the ayurvedic centers and enjoy a relaxing spa.
- Book yourself a river safari and whale watching.
How to Reach Bentota: You can reach Bentota by bus from Galle and Colombo to Bentota. Bentota connects to Galle and Colombo with a good network of buses.
- Taj Bentota
- Bentota Beach Hotel
- Sri Lancashire Guest House
- La Perla Bentota
- The Pleasure Kosgoda
Tourist Attractions in Bentota
- Kosgoda Sea Turtle Conservation Project
- Kande Vihara
- Bentota Beach (Ventura Beach)
- Brief Garden
- Cinnamon Island
03. Hikkaduwa Beach
Hikkaduwa is a seaside town on the Southwest coast close to Galle district with the ideal setting to spend your vacation.
You can have a chance to see various coral reefs. It has its coral sanctuary. In addition to the coral, the park is famous for its marine turtles and fish. If you are considering a budget trip, Hikkaduwa beach is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Hikkaduwa Map: Hikkaduwa
Hikkaduwa Beach Famous for
- You can have a shopping experience at local markets.
- Enjoy Sri Lankan authentic foods at the beachside cafes.
- Celebration of the Hikkaduwa Beach Festival with the local community in Hikkaduwa.
- Learn some information about the turtles and the coral life at the Coral sanctuary
- Take a boat ride to have a look at the most beautiful aquatic life in the coral sanctuary
Best Time to Visit Hikkaduwa Beach: November to March
Directions to Hikkaduwa Beach: The most comfortable and effective way to reach Hikkaduwa is to take a taxi from the Colombo Bandaranayake International Airport. It will take around 2.5 hours. If not, you can catch a bus along with A2 to Galle or Matara.
In addition to that, you can also take the slow and enjoyable train tour from Colombo to the Hikkaduwa Station. It is just north of the beach.
- Riff Hikkaduwa
- Hotel Finlanka
- Sapphire Seas Beachfront Hotel
- Hikka Tranz by Cinnamon
- Rominrich Hotel
Tourist Attractions in Hikkaduwa
- Hikkaduwa Coral Reef
- Narigama Beach
- General Tsunami Photo Museum
- Turtle Beach – Hikkaduwa
- Polgasduwa Aranya
04. Mirissa Beach
Mirissa is a famous beach among surfers and budget travelers due to its charm and proximity to Unawatuna beach. It locates Matara district, Sri Lanka. You can have a unique photo opportunity at Mirissa beach.
There are guesthouses, beach restaurants, and beach bars close to Mirissa beach. Also, you will find tasty seafood here. It is an ideal place for night parties. Mirissa is also a popular place for whale-watching and Dolphin Watching between December and March. You can see five whale types and four dolphin types. The clear waters and sea waves make it ideal for swimming and surfing.
Mirissa Map: Mirissa
Mirissa Beach Famous for
- Mirissa is ideal for swimming and surfing.
- Dolphins and whales watching. If you visit in December, you can see turtles laying eggs.
- Hire a boat and go fishing with the locals near the coral reef.
- Enjoy a relaxing at Ayurveda centers in Mirissa
- River safari
Best Time to Visit Mirissa Beach: December to March
How to Reach Mirissa Beach: You can catch public buses from Colombo form to reach Matara along the main highway. If not, you can catch up a train to Matara from Colombo and then hire a tuk-tuk to Mirissa.
- Bon Accord Mirissa
- Paradise Beach Club
- Glamour Hotel Mirissa
- Mandara Resort Mirissa
- Sea World
Tourist Attractions in Mirissa
- Parrot Rock Bridge
- Whales Watching in Mirissa
- Secret Beach, Mirissa
- Galle Fort
- Coconut Tree Hill
05. Negombo Beach
Negombo is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka, located in Gampaha district Sri Lanka. It is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka among foreign visitors due to that it is 6 km away from the Bandaranaike International Airport. It is a popular area to get rest for travelers after their long-haul flight and relax on the golden sands of Negombo. You can see the Dutch characteristics architectures during your Negombo tour.
Negombo beach is a paradise with plenty of fresh seafood. You can enjoy various water sports activities at Negombo with a fun-filled beach holiday in Sri Lanka. In addition to that, you can Come evening to enjoy the spectacular sunsets and discover the myriad of beachfront restaurants.
Negombo Map: Negombo
Negombo Beach Famous for
- Take a bike ride and explore the beauty of the village and ride to explore the coral reefs.
- Bird watching and diving and snorkeling at the blue lagoon.
- Visit to see the gem mines and gem shopping.
- Take an elephant ride through the forests.
- Whales and dolphins watching.
Best time to visit Negombo: March to September
How to Reach Negombo: Buses move from the main Negombo Bus Stand to Colombo every 30 minutes. It is the most reasonable and comfortable way to reach Negombo. It is only an hour’s drive from Colombo.
- Camelot Beach Hotel
- Heritance Negombo
- Goldi Sands Hotel
- Hotel J Negombo
- Jetwing Sea
Tourist Attractions in Negombo
- Negombo Lagoon
- Browns Beach
- Negombo Beach Park
- Negombo Dutch Fort
- Morawaka Beach
06. Nilaveli Beach
Nilaveli Beach is one of the most picturesque beaches of Sri Lanka, located is a 30-minute drive from the Trincomalee. It is a sandy beach lined with palm trees. Nilaveli beach is famous for fishing hotspots. Nilaveli Beach is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka to stay on your vacation.
The blue water and soft white sands make the perfect spot to spend lazy days there. You will have a chance to take a 20-minute boat ride to the Pigeon Island national park. Also, the beach is an ideal place for water sports like fishing and sea angling. In addition to that, it is one of the best beaches for whales watching, scuba dive and sunbathing. There is a small rocky island a few meters from the coast. It is an ideal place for snorkeling.
Nilaveli Map: Nilaveli
Nilaveli Famous for
- Beautiful and best accommodations around the beach
- Join with water sports such as scuba diving
- Visit the hot water wells and pigeon islands
- Visit the Old fort from the colonial era
Best time to visit Nilaveli: May to September
How to Reach Nilaveli: You can reach Nilaveli from Colombo airport by public or private buses. Also, you can travel by car.
- Anilana Nilaveli
- That’s Why Beach Cabanas Nilaveli
- Nilaveli Beach Hotel
- C Beyond Nilaveli
- Mithra Paradise Beach Hotel
Tourist Attractions in Nilaveli
- Pigeon Island
- Uppuveli Beach
- Koneswaram Temple
- Fort Frederic
07. Pasikudah and Kalkudah Beach
Pasikudah and Kalkudah are some of the most beautiful places to visit for your dream vacation on a white sand beach shaded by palm trees. It situates Batticaloa, East coast Sri Lanka.
Pasikudah and Kalkudah beaches offer very calm water. You can often swim up to 200m from the shore. It is also an ideal spot for surfing and windsurfing during September.
Pasikudah Beach Map : Pasikudah
Kalkudah Beach Map : Kalkudah
Pasikudah and Kalkudah Famous for
- The beaches are ideal for swimming and sea-bathing as the sea is clear, calm, and reef-protected.
- It is a favorite among beach lovers and those looking for exciting water sport activities.
- There are more luxury hotels close to Pasikudah and Kalkudah. So, you have no problem with accommodations.
Best time to visit Pasikudah and Kalkudah: May to September
How to Reach Pasikudah and Kalkudah: You can reach there just a 30-minute drive north of Batticaloa. You can choose plane or train to visit Colombo to Pasikuda. It will take about 3-4 hours.
- Amaya Beach Passikudah
- Amethyst Resort, Passikuddah
- Sunrise By Jetwing
- Laya Waves
- Marina Beach Passikudah
Tourist Attractions in Pasikudah and Kalkudah
- Passekudah Bay
- Kalkudah Bay
- Sail Lanka Charter – Passikudah
- Coconut Cultural Park
08. Tangalle Beach
Tangalle is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka. It locates in Hambantota district. Tangalle bay is one of the modern attractions among tourists.
You will have a great experience at Tangalle beach with sandy beaches and pristine blue water. It is ideal for relaxing, soaking, and turtle-watching. We suggest you share this experience with your loved ones because it is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Tangalle Beach Map: Tangalle Beach
Tangalle Famous for
- Explore the offshore reefs along this beach.
- Watch the most beautiful sunsets.
- Tangalle Beach is perfect for diving site
- Whale and Turtle Watching
Best time to visit Tangalle: November to April
- Anantara Peace Haven Tangalle Resort
- Lagoon Paradise Beach Resort
- Villa Tangalle Lagoon
- Lankavatara Ocean Retreat & Spa
- Turtle Bay
Tourist Attractions in Tangalle
- Tangalle Beach
- Rekawa Beach
- Silent Beach
- Hiriketiya Beach
- Bundala National Park
09. Unawatuna Beach
Unawatuna is one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka with calm blue water and. It is famous for its beautiful wide curving beach. It situates 5km away from the Galle district. The small bay at Unawatuna keeps waves quiet compared to other beaches. The layout and accessibility are affecting its beauty. A reef protecting the beach makes it safe for bathing. Also, Rumasssala is a rocky outcrop projecting into the sea in Unawatuna.
The calm surroundings and the Dutch architecture add to the charm of Unawatuna. However, the beach is beautiful at night. Most of the tourists visit the beach at night for dancing. Also, in the evening, you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets were pink and orange light up the sky. If you are lucky, you will have a chance to watch a whale shark at Unawatuna beach.
Unawatuna Beach Map: Unawatuna Beach
Unawatuna Famous for
- You can enjoy some water sport such as scuba diving and snorkeling. Walk along the beautiful golden sand beach and see the turtle nesting.
- Visit to the Temple Yatagala Raja Maha Viharaya.
- Take an Ayurveda massage at the sanctuary spa.
- Relax at the Thaproban Beach House and enjoy some of Sri Lankan’s delicious foods.
Best time to visit Unawatuna: August and September, November to March
How to Reach Unawatuna: Unawatuna is 150 km away from Bandaranayaka International Airport in Katunayaka. The journey will take over 3 hours by private vehicle.
- Thaprobane Beach House
- Nooit Gedacht Heritage Hotel (Original Dutch Governors House)
- Epic Unawatuna
- The Horizon Hill Top Villa
- Toddy By Hoppa
Tourist Attractions in Unawatuna
- Japanese Peace Pagoda
- Jungle Beach
- Rumassala Sanctuary
- Mihiripenna Beach
- Dalawella Beach
10. Uppuveli Beach
Uppuveli is a sleepy village with a beautiful beach. It locates on the east coast of Sri Lanka and just north of Trincomalee.
Uppuveli is an ideal place for whale-watching between March and August and diving. Also, Uppuveli Beach offers plenty of sunshine between March and June. If you arrive in Uppuveli, you can watch the fisherman haul in their nets.
Uppuveli Beach Map: Uppuveli Beach
Uppuveli Famous for
You can hire a rickshaw and visit the beautiful village to explore the natural beauty. You can have a wonderful experience while walking along the beach in the moonlight.
- It is a perfect place for watersports such as diving, swimming, and snorkeling.
- Enjoy by doing some yoga.
- Explore by visiting Pigeon Island.
Best time to visit Uppuveli: May to September
How to Reach Uppuveli: How to Reach Uppuveli: You can reach Trincomalee by car. It will take approximately six to seven hours; then you can take a taxi the short distance to Uppuveli Beach. It’s about five kilometers from Trincomalee.
- Trinco Blu by Cinnamon
- Anantamaa Hotel
- That’s Why Beach Cabanas Nilaveli
- Amaranthe Bay Resort & Spa
- JKAB Beach Resort
Tourist Attractions in Uppuveli
- Nilaveli Beach
- Koneswaram Kovil
- Fort Frederick
- Marble Beach
- Lovers Leap