Welcome to Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka
Arugam Bay (Arugam Kudah) is a popular tourist destination due to the charms of the beautiful, palm-fringed beach. The bright white sand and deep blue water increase the beauty of the beach. The beach is also known as an international surfing destination and locates on the east coast of Sri Lanka. It nominates as one of the best beaches in Sri Lanka.
Arugam Bay is a fun beach. The visitors can easily arrange a tour of nearby Pottuvil Lagoon. In addition to that, it will provide a chance to motor-boat trips out to sea to search for dolphins. The blue water of beach is ideal for fishing, all kinds of water sports, and underwater photography. Do not forget to visit the concealed reef during your beach tour.
The area has a good tourist infrastructure and is easy to access. There are barbecuing fish in the early evening at the roadside shacks and restaurants to gather the seafood lovers.
Arugam Bay Famous for:
- It is one of the best surfing points across the world. You can rent the equipment from the local shop and enjoy surfing.
- You can book a lagoon tour through the hidden treasures of the Pottuvil lagoon. It will provide a slow and relaxing journey for you.
- You will have a chance to watch millions of migratory birds if you visit there during the off-season.
- Waking to the Elephant Rock will be enjoyable while looking at the serenity of this marvelous beach.
- Plan a trip to the Yala East National Park, which is famous for elephants and leopards
Also Read : 10 Best Beaches in Sri Lanka
Arugam Bay Location
The Arugam Bay is a surf beach located 314 km east of Colombo and 117km south of Batticaloa. It belongs southeast coast of Sri Lanka. You will have to drive about 2 .5km from Pottuvil town in the Ampara District.
How to Reach Arugam Bay
Arugam Bay locates in Ampara district, Eastern province Sri Lanka and 320 km away from Colombo. It will take 8 hours by car to reach here from the airport. The closest airport is the Batticaloa Airport.
You can travel by bus from Colombo. It will take about 9 hours. If not, you can hire a taxi or rent a car and drive to Pottuvil. From Colombo, it will take 8 hours. Also, you can catch the train from Fort Station to Elle. From Ella, you can hire a taxi from Elle to there.
Best Things to Do in Arugam Bay
You can try to do many things here with your loved once.
01. Arugam Bay Surfing
Surfing is one of the top activities you can do at Arugam Bay. There are several places to hire a surfing-board in town. It is an international surf competition venue in Sri Lanka. This beautiful place is an ideal place for surfing beginners to learn. Make sure you don’t leave this place without surfing. The surfing season is from July to September.
02. Enjoy at Arugam Bay Beach
Arugam Bay Beach is a beautiful beach as well as it is moon-shaped. The golden sand at the beach shows the beauty of the beach. The beach is famous for shopping and surfing. This beach is an ideal place for relaxing.
03. Visit to Peanut Farm
Peanut Farm Surf Location situates south of Arugam Bay. It will be a favorite spot for you due to its unspoiled location with white sand, trees, and rock formations. Peanut Farm beach is a famous place for swimming, surfing and sunning with fresh food.
It is a great place to buy unique locally branded clothing, beach towels, and handmade shell souvenirs.
05. Arugam Bay Lagoon Safari
Lagoon safari is one of the most popular activities in Arugam Bay. You can do a lagoon safari within 2 hours. During your safari tour, you will have a chance to visit Kottukal and Urani lagoons. You can see more animals such as crocodiles and elephants.
06. Relax at Pottuvil Beach
Pottuvil Beach is an ideal place for relaxation and fun. You can do sunbathe and watch the waves while eating delicious seafood. Make sure to bring sun cream and a hat to protect your body.
07. Safari Tour to Kumana National Park
One of the top things to do at Arugam Bay is a safari to Kumana National Park (Yala East). Many tourists choose a jeep for their safari to see the rare wildlife.
Best Time to Visit Arugam Bay
The best time to visit Arugam Bay is April to September. That time is ideal for surfing. The months of June to August are most appropriate to visit there. The beaches are less crowded and, the waves are smaller from November to March. It will be an excellent time to learn surfing. But most of the hotels in this area close during this period.
You can easily book Arugam Bay hotels and rooms through the booking website. You can find some favorable hotel offers from time to time.
- The Blue Wave Hotel
- Water Edge Hotel
- Bay Vista
- Jetwing Surf
- Arugambay Roccos
Places to Visit near Arugam Bay
- Kumana National Park – The Kumana National Park or Yala East National Park locates in the Ampara district of Sri Lanka.
- Pottuvil Lagoon – Pottuvil Lagoon is about 4km away from this marvelous beach. It will take about 2 hours to safari.
- Muhudu Maha Vihara – Muhudu Maha Vihara is a Buddhist temple located about 4.5 km away from Arugam Bay.
- Sangamankandy Pilliyar Kovil
- Crocodile Rock
- Kudumbigala Monastery – You can reach this monastery about an hour from Arugam Bay. It situates approximately 30 km away from there.
- Elephant Rock – Elephant Rock is a beautiful viewpoint you can visit during your tour. It offers the best panoramic views of the beach and sunset views.